Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring Break Part Two: Fun on a Budget

Spring Break 2013

   Now that we are back from the break, it's time to break down the logistics of "#SB13."
     Spring break is a highlight of college careers everywhere. However, trips to the beach can be very expensive and often do not fit into a college budget. Thankfully, however, there are many ways to enjoy the same spring break without forfeiting your grocery money for two months.

   This year, my friends and I went to Destin, Fla., for six days and five nights. The weather cooperated, and we were able to spend three days in the sun, and three shopping and exploring all that Destin has to offer. After everything, we were all able to come back to town with enough of our funds intact--here is how.

    Thanks to our new friends Jim and Martha Moody, we were able to stay in a house for the entirety of our visit at no charge. Of course we were very appreciative of their hospitality, but we also were able to create a new friendship with two people.

    Staying with the Moodys also allowed us to save on our food costs, because we were able to bring snacks and breakfast foods, instead of going out for every meal. I personally don't eat breakfast on a daily basis, but for those of us that do, this is a great way to save money while traveling. Lunch is also something we were able to save on, as we would just take snacks and drinks to the beach instead of paying for lunch at expensive restaurants.

    In general, save eating out while traveling for times when it is also an experience. I stay away from fast-food restaurants as a principle. Eating while travel should be a part of the experience instead of an extra expense. Food can be one of the most exciting things about traveling. Souvenirs are the same way. I buy a post card everywhere that I go, meaning I average about 35 cents per souvenir. I do buy gifts and other items, but I try to stick to things that I can put to more use than sitting in a box in my closet. That way, when someone asks where I got my scarf, I can say something like "Tokyo" instead of "Walmart."

    Overall this spring break was a resounding success. We traveled the almost five hours without any excitement, spent a relaxing week at the beach without many problems and came back to campus with no problems but our sunburns. We did all of this, and stayed on budget in these ways:

  • Using connections to save on lodging costs.
  • Splitting the cost of gas, snacks and drinks.
  • Eating out only for dinner and the occasional lunch.
  • Buying souvenirs that mean something and are not just junk.

Total for "#SB13"

Gas: $150, $75 per person, per car, give or take with a trip home.

Lodging: Free (Thank you Dr. and Mrs. Moody!)

Food: $75 per person, on average.

Souvenirs: $20, personally, others spent more.

Total, I spent around $170 for six days. In my opinion, this was a successful trip.

1 comment:

  1. I love the line about Tokyo! I bought my sister a plaid scarf in Edinborough. She later saw a kilt of the same plaid at Penney's. When she wore them together, people would always ask where she got them. She'd say dramatically, "I got my scarf in Edinborough... and my kilt... at J.C. Penney!"

    ReplyDelete